16. - 22.11.2009: Bisti Wilderness Area - Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah

Click on a photo to enlarge it.

It was another bitterly cold day and we decided to extend another night at the campground and get our website written. The weather forecast was sunny until Friday so we drove to Bisti Wilderness on Tuesday and spent two hours wandering around the formations in the northern part of the wilderness area.

We met other photographers who had even less of an idea of where to look and what to look for than we did! So we just followed our noses and tried not to fall on our behinds on the muddy ground. We managed to find the "Stone Wings" that we had gone to see and we managed to get back to Winnie just as the sun was going down.

The temperature dropped very quickly once the sun had gone and it went well below freezing again (-8° C).The next day we drove a short distance to the southern end of the area and followed our noses again to find the "Cracked Eggs" and other formations.

We drove back to Farmington that evening in the dark and went to Wal-Mart and bought a ready cooked chicken which we had with potato and pasta salad.

We headed south the next day and had a short stop at Angels Peak Lookout and then drove to Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah. The last 18 miles were on a very rough gravel road which got better after the first 3 miles and a final short drive along a jeep track.

We spent 4 hours walking down into a wash and along the western side of the canyon looking at hoodoo formations. Then we tried to climb back out but had to return to the wash and walk to the end where we found a horse trail that took us back up to the rim. We headed back and eventually found Winnie again.

We stayed there for another very cold night and then drove for hours, heading south west and through Albuquerque and stopped at Los Lunas for the night. We spent the next day doing shopping and three loads of laundry. We were running out of clean clothes. We also spent nearly two hours at the library updating our website and spent another night at the Wal-Mart.

We headed further south and wanted to take a look at the Bernardo wildlife area but it was closed for hunting and a permit was needed. So we drove further south to Socorro.